Thursday, June 30, 2011

Huh, the man I love has Asperger's Syndrome.

I was talking to my therapist and she concluded after much discussion about the maybe-boyfriend, that he has Asperger's.  I suspected as much but still, it was a shock to realize she might be right. 
It's scary to think of the implications...children with some level of autism? Running a household alone? Not having my guy there during a crisis? These are the things dangled by authors and commenters of books. 
It's easy to counter all of these things.  I don't know if he will be my primary partner.  All things considered, he'd be happier being my secondary boyfriend with none of the labels or environmental changes to worry about.  My guy is capable of being there for a crisis if I tell him exactly what I need.  He is more than capable of living on his own, more than me.
This is hard...it's really hard. 
I really love the guy.

No comments: