Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How I got into the game and why I fish.

When my boyfriend at the time and I got together, WoW had just finished the beta and released. I wasn't a gamer and wasn't interested in playing WoW. But one day, my bf asked me if I would level up his fishing. So he parked me in Darnassus with a fishing pole and I fished there for 4 hours. I was hooked.

He got me my own account even though I asked him not to. I'm fond of saying that my relationship with WoW lasted longer than that relationship. I have two BT/MH raider characters as a pally tank and a shadow priest which is time-consuming and demanding.

But I still try to sneak away to fish because
1. I can handle guild officer stuff and chat without killing a group in an instance.
2. I enjoy gathering cooking materials
3. I enjoy the surprise element of a catch.
4. It's not about GCDs or how much haste rating you have. Its simplicity is something that most people write off as boring. It's a meditation of my "surroundings", a time and place where all your focus is on the bobber and the basic joy of a catch.
5. Unlike RL fishing, WoW fishing is not at all demanding; it's free of extraneous factors like timing of the tides, stabbing hooks in fingers, and tangled lines.
6. If you miss a bob, there are very little consequences, unlike raiding :)

No comments: