Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Figuring out the pull with the Illidari Council


Me:

I cried at my first attempt with the Illidari Council. Tears and snot and the whole god-awful sniffles that make my voice hiccup. It's not necessarily at that I hesitated and wiped the raid; it's the fact that the raid leader expressed something which ultimately wasn't constructive: he was disappointed with the pull. Or with me. Either way, they're the same thing.

Sometimes, I raise my voice in defensiveness. Sometimes, I may bark. But this crying...probably not completely stemming from this encounter. I have an exterior of hardness which keeps me from the brunt of the minor things that any young woman faces in NYC since birth...it's this strength I can draw on to withstand most anything, even the harshest criticism. Yet I'm a sponge, absorbing whatever comes at me.

Aftermath:

Officer:

What you are doing on that pull is dealing with three targets at once; Mage Tank for the BoP, yourself for the shield, and the rogue for your normal pickup moves.

Here's a way you could do that without needing to switch targets:

1. Focus on Mage Tank (/focus while you target Mage Tank), then switch your target to the rogue before the pull. Use a focus macro (/cast [target=focus] Blessing of Protection) to cast BoP on Mage Tank. You are still targeting the rogue.

2. Use a self defense macro to shield yourself going in. (/cast [target=player] Divine Shield). I usually bind this to a mouse button but you may prefer a key press. You will still be targeting the rogue.

3. Run in and judge righteousness on the rogue, or however else you want to pick him up.One thing I was wondering was if it would be better to throw your shield before you run in. Mage Tank's Pyroblast has a six second cast time. Say you have a one second reaction time to see his cast starting and cast BoP: That would leave five seconds. You could throw your shield (1.5 seconds), DS (instant cast) and run in, all before Mage Tank's Pyroblast lands.

Me:

For the first attempt last night, I tried that last suggestion. To attempt it as explained, I'd do this:

1. Focus on mage tank.

2. Target rogue mob.

3. Cast SoR.

4. Bop mage tank.

5. DS myself. (Perhaps make a macro that does both 4+5 with two button pushes)

6. Run to the middle of the stairs and drop a consecrate. Middle of the stairs is because if I run up top, they've already run toward someone else, which misses out on the ticks.

7. Judge on rogue mob.

For 6, I could use Avenger's Shield after Mage Tank's Bop/my DS and drop a consecrate after.

For 7, the rogue offtank (a druid) can grab the rogue to hand it off to me.

Another officer:

In the future I think we're going to be using the mage tank to initiate the pull, in order to prevent issues with Zerevor's random behavior, like running toward the back of the room at the start of the pull. If you run in before mage tank's pyroblast has been cast and the mage runs out of range, it's basically a wipe because mage tank will have no threat and no dampen magic, and you or a healer will be killed by Zerevor as soon as he lands a spell. All it really means, if the situation were otherwise the same, is that instead of running in with divine shield you would just BoP mage tank and then focus on picking up your target after it started moving.

Observations:

Why do I bother consecrating? Why is this method that much more benefitual than having the tanks charge in? It's not High King Maulgar but what's the drawbacks of having the tanks run in? Is the magic damage that extreme? I need to reread this encounter.

Conclusion:

Tanking is stressful. Crying is an outlet for that stress and frustration. Figure out how the fight works and do better.

No comments: