Friday, April 18, 2008

Hunter pull in SH: When officers attack

When there's a disconnect between a discussion of a logical, safe way of pulling mobs and the actual execution, would you want to know why a hunter carried out a pull in a certain way?

Suppose a hunter discussed how A+B=C.

A=The mob which would give the least amount of resistance
B=Properly timed shot
C=Executed pull with the least amount of resistance

We're in Heroic Shattered Halls with that first big room with a pacing Legionnaire. My guildmates have done this a fair amount of times before without wipes.

However, there was an unknown variable of D which wasn't put into account.

D= Multishot

So final result in this hunter's mind: A+B+D=C

The ensuing chaos was worthy of nubs. Me on my shadow priest, died a terrible death, still bewildered by the animation of a multishot.

Now this hunter is a seasoned warrior tank who is comfortably geared for BT/MH. So I assumed he would be comfortable explaining why he used a shot that would obviously draw aggro from the mobs we were trying to avoid. After saying that we should have said something about NOT using Variable D when we were hardly anticipating a nub move (most of the group members are experienced hunters themselves, myself included), that he didn't realize that the multishot would reach another mob that was very close to the mobs we were trying to pull, he turned it around to me, and said the examination of his actions was fruitless. It was only an exercise for me to excise my frustration.

It was midnight, I blew up. Not being on my anti-depressant medication, I just couldn't handle the stream of rationalization. It was just a fucking question. When my voice started cracking from the lack of sleep, his giddy voice saying that I was being emotional and making things worse, it just hurt alot. Yeah, it was stupid to bring up points that don't matter like I wasn't happy with the first boss we were going for. That just made me sound insane but I think you got off on that.

Warning: Going into personal insights about my fellow officer

I left the group with a little clearer view of how so many people find issues with him. I know he loves conflict and to escalate them which is hardly a good attribute for an officer, but does he realize that it hurts to be put down like that? That I had no intention of trying to put him down? Being in therapy, I am all for being shown things that may be painful to learn from them and to either change or accept them for what I am. However, being an aspiring therapist, I'm aware of the impact of "you are" statements have on people. Being told I'm emotional doesn't help. Being told that it's making the situation worse doesn't help. Being told that my question is invalid doesn't help. And it doesn't help you.

I wish I could approach you about this but I'm certain you made up your mind about everything that has happened. Your stubborness has its appeal like that. We were fortunate to break off that abortion topic because when you tout your abilities to think things out mathematically, chemically, holistically, that's when the debate falls apart because there is no gauge for those things in communication unless you got graphics.

The worst part of this was that I respected and admired you. I thought you may have respected me too but I've been known to be deluded in relationships with people. I know you're not going to apologize because you believe there's nothing to apologize for. Apologies are for those who wish to maintain relationships. And I know you have nothing to gain from assuaging my feelings. So, here I am. Heh.

2 comments:

The Lords Breed said...

If it makes you feel any better, I never apologize either. =o)

Flourish Art Therapist said...

Eh, not surprised.